Sunday, April 27, 2008

Gettin' a Little Squirelly


I'm so excited. Today I will start painting a squirrel. A giant fiberglass squirrel. So I will be posting work in progress photos of him. This is what the squirrels look like unpainted.

The city of Olean, NY is host to these cuties. The project is called Woodland in the City. You can see completed squirrels on their website. Aren't they neat?

Area sponsors signed up to "adopt a squirrel", local artists signed up to paint them. The project coordinator had the task of matching us all up, that had to be interesting.

My sponsor is the Prizel family of Prizel's Pharmacy. They chose a Jimmy Buffett theme. I couldn't of asked for a more fun idea. I sent out some sketches, and then we brainstormed for ideas. I've got to say the Prizel's are a very creative bunch with a great sense of humor. I don't want to give away any of the surprises, so just think "Jimmy Buffett", hum a few lines, and see if our squirrel delivers.

Little Jimmy arrived yesterday, he's a biggun'. He's now camping on my front porch where I will be working on him. When my family got home, they burst out laughing. All they have heard for weeks is my out of tune singing of, "I'm gettin' a squiiIIRRrrel, I'm gettin' a squiiIIRRrrel !". (Too bad you can't see the dance involved, It so completes the theme)

Ok, I'm done with my coffee and raring to go paint.

No comments: